Home News Micheal owen backs Antonio Conte amid Son criticism.

Micheal owen backs Antonio Conte amid Son criticism.

82
0
LISBON, PORTUGAL - SEPTEMBER 13: Heung-Min Son of Tottenham Hotspur FC looks on during the UEFA Champions League group D match between Sporting CP and Tottenham Hotspur at Estadio Jose Alvalade on September 13, 2022 in Lisbon, Portugal. (Photo by Carlos Rodrigues/Getty Images)

Michael Owen believes Son Heung-min should not be dropped despite a disappointing start to the season.

There’s calls for Son Heung-min to be dropped from Antonio Conte’s starting 11 due to an underwhelming start to his season.(Photo: Getty Images)

Son Heung-min has come under a lot of criticism this season after a poor start to the season. The last season’s joint Premier League top scorer has contributed to no goals and just one assist in his eight appearances.

Speaking after the Sporting defeat, Conte gave his opinion on the Son situation amid calls for him to be benched.

“Son hasn’t been used to being rotated at Spurs because the squad hasn’t been strong enough and you’d previously said you’d be crazy to rotate him, but now you have the options is that something that might happen and have you had to speak to him to prepare himself for that at some point?”.

The 30-year-old had another quiet game as Tottenham lost 2-0 to Sporting Lisbon in the Champions League on Tuesday evening. However, Owen believes Tottenham boss Antonio Conte should keep Son in his starting lineup.

“Short memories,” Owen told BT Sport when asked if Son should be dropped.

“If you are Manchester United, Manchester City or Liverpool, and you say ‘right, we can have one player [out of Son and Kane]’, I would say the majority would take Son.

“Yes Harry Kane scores many goals, but he scored more goals last season. He’s younger, very difficult to play against. I think you have got to be patient with great players as well.

“What would you do to his head [by dropping him]. He’s carried the team for the last two, three, four years. Everyone was saying it was a two-man team.

“Then all of a sudden he has a few average, quiet games and you drop him. You think ‘okay, I have been so loyal to you and a couple bad games you put me on the bench, I am your best player’

They [Kane and Son] have proven they can play together and scored loads of goals together. It is how can we bring in another top player and make it all work, but not at the expense of what is guaranteed which is Son.”

Former Manchester United star Rio Ferdinand describes the calls for Son Heung-min to be dropped by Tottenham are “blasphemy” after only a short spell of subpar performances.

“No chance, blasphemy,” Ferdinand quickly replied as he insisted Harry Kane would not be facing the same questions.

” Golden Boot winner last season, joint top goalscorer with Mo Salah. We’re six Premier League games in, a couple of Champions League games… and they’re asking for him to be dropped?

“Were they asking for Harry Kane to be dropped when he didn’t score in August all those times?

He also suggested Conte may have to change Spurs’ system to adapt to the South Korea international.

“He is a top player,” said Ferdinand. “It is up to Conte to find a way of playing to get the best out of him because he is that good.

“There are certain players in your team that you can’t afford for them to not be playing. They have got to work it out and he is one of those players.”

Son and Kane have been joined by Richarlison, who joined in the summer, in their attack under Conte this season.

Previous articleBayern Munich CONTACT Harry Kane’s agent Charlie over possible summer move.
Next articleEverton midfielder Alex Iwobi opens up on criticism and his current contract situation.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here